23 September 2010

Tuna Melts (Made With Homemade Yogurt)

(Not the most beautiful picture of the most beautiful food on the most beautiful dish. But for a two-year-old, hey! It's lunch!)

After several years of receiving WIC benefits, I think I'm starting to figure out how to transform random food items into actual meals. It's getting easier now that WIC provides some fresh produce and whole grain bread. This WIC recipe is one of my favorites because it uses some of that plain yogurt that's always around as a substitute for the usual mayonnaise.

Ingredients:

2 carrots, peeled (WIC)
2 stalks celery (WIC)
2 dill pickles
1 can tuna, drained (WIC for nursing moms)
1/4-1/3 cup plain yogurt (made with WIC milk)
2-4 oz. cheese, sliced (WIC)
6-8 slices whole grain bread (WIC)

Finely dice carrots, celery, and pickles (I use a food processor). Mix in tuna and yogurt. Spoon onto bread, and top with cheese slices. Place under broiler for about 3 minutes until cheese is melted.

My boys each ate a piece of fruit while I put this together, and chowed down on the tuna melts as soon as they came out of the oven. *Check!* One more healthy lunch down!

3 comments:

  1. Hey, thanks for stopping by.

    We've just qualified for WIC (for my toddler), and often wonder what to do with some of the odd things we get. This looks so smart! I don't even think I would mind eating it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I'm always on the lookout for good lunch ideas. Thanks for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. just a browser passing through, but I had to laugh at this post. I, too, am married and staying at home with the kids while the H finishes school, and I, too, have perfected the art of using random WIC ingredients in surprising ways. I thought I was the only one who made yogurt from all the milk! My current favorite is peach sauce on the pancakes since the baby doesn't actually eat baby food ;-p. Oh, and mac-n-cheese with salmon and peas is always a favorite.

    thanks for letting me look around :)

    ReplyDelete